Vanilla Oil Perfume

After years of trying to locate my favourite vanilla musk from the Body Shop I was informed that it is not available for purchase anymore.  That was the only perfume I wore in my early 20s and absolutely loved it!  I used to get so many compliments as well!  The scent was really a perfect mix between sweet with a hint of spice and was mild enough not to be too overbearing.  Besides the odd comment about smelling like a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies I really loved everything about that oil.


So I decided to try my hand at perfume making.  And in the end I have to admit that it’s quite simple.  All you really need is lots of patience to get you through the weeks of waiting until it’s finished. 

The finished product has a really lovely deep vanilla scent.  I use it as a body perfume, room freshener and bath oil.  I added a touch of Lavender to make it my own.

INGREDIENTS:

8-10 Vanilla Beans
Vodka
Jojoba Oil or Almond Oil
2 tbsp Vegetable Glycerin
15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
10 drops Vanilla Extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Take 8-10 vanilla beans, slit them down the middle and with a knife scrape down to remove bean paste.  
2. Put paste in small glass jar.  
3. After removing paste cut the beans into small pieces and add to jar.
4. Pour enough vodka into jar to cover the chopped up vanilla beans.  The alcohol will soak into the beans and absorb the rich vanilla scent.
5. Place the jar somewhere dry and not too cold.  
6. Let stand for anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months depending on how strong a fragrance you want. 
7. When ready, strain the liquid from the vanilla pieces with a piece of cheesecloth, thin cotton or even ladies pantyhose.   
8. Put the strained liquid into a clean glass jar and pour in the jojoba oil (about 2 times the amount of oil than there was vanilla liquid).  
9. Add the glycerin, lavender essential oil and vanilla extract and stir.
10. Let sit for 4 - 6 weeks.
11.  Strain the perfume again and transfer to a spray bottle.

Note:  You can re-use the vanilla paste and beans to start a new batch of perfume as well.  Just add in a few new beans and start the process from the beginning.

Make sure to store in a relatively cool and dry place in order for it to last longer (it should be good for at least several months).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks you for your comments. It may take a few days for it to appear.